An Italian man who lived alone on an island for 30 years is finally forced to leave the island after pressure from authorities.
Mauro Morandi is 81 years old and moved to the island of Bodili, a short distance from northern Sardinia, in 1989.
Last year, Morandi said the owners of the island, famous for its pink beaches, wanted to relocate.
He wrote on Facebook on Sunday: "I will leave this place with the hope that in the future, Bodili will be as safe as I have been for 32 years."
Morandi has been a physical trainer and told BBC Outlook in 2018 that he has always been a 'little rebel'.
"I was tired of a lot of things in our society, like the political situation in Italy and just spending money on shopping. I thought I'd go to a desert island in Polynesia, away from everyone. I wanted to start my life with nature.
After embarking on his voyage by sea, he and several of his friends landed at La Medalina, a series of islands in Italy, where they planned to work and raise money for the rest of the voyage.
But after arriving in Bodili and meeting a guard near the island's retirement, Morandi decided to stay. He has been here ever since, taking care of the island as well as talking to tourists, but he is also in danger of being evicted.
In 2020, La Medalina National Park President Fabrizio Fonico told CNN that Morandi had made illegal alterations to his hut. The hut was originally a radio station during World War II.
The Italian government has so far received more than 70,000 signatures on an online petition to allow them to stay.
But on Sunday, Morandi announced his decision to leave the island. He told The Guardian that he would move to a small flat on the island near La Medalina.



0 Comments